The Christ Child Society of South Bend was founded on August 6, 1947, by Mrs. Jerome J. Crowley.
After obtaining Bishop John F. Noll’s permission for this new enterprise, Mrs. Crowley asked 15 friends to serve with her on the first Board of Directors. As a beginning project, these women decided to furnish clothing to needy babies. The first layette was presented to a baby born shortly after midnight on Christmas morning. It seemed the Christ Child smiled on this new organization!